Friday, April 2, 2010

A trip to Stockholm

We did a cruise from Helsinki to Stockholm and back earlier this week. We had a cabin with a window towards the sea which was pretty much covered by ice all the way. I've never been on a ship paving its way trough ice before. While some passengers fancied shopping, the kids and I found it quite interesting just to watch the ice move by. I admit the noise of ice hitting the ship brought into my mind a couple of flash-backs from the movie Titanic. I didn't see any ice bergs though.

In Stockholm we visited the Vasa museum and Junibacken. The first time I visited Vasa in 1995 I had a "wow" experience. The ship is still very impressive. Junibacken is a children's play house based on many familiar characters from Swedish children’s books. It looked like our kids had a similar "wow" experience there as I had in the Vasa museum. It was a great place to visit. Our kids haven't really listened to Swedish very much but our older kid obviously managed to pick up some as he refused to leave the Pippi Longstocking show before it ended.

There is nothing much exciting happening on the cancer side of life except that my eyelashes have grown wild again and need a cut. The doctors were kind enough to postpone my next infusion until after Easter which gives me a few more days with a clear brain.

No comments: