Sunday, April 18, 2010

Break

The blood test on Monday was good and the platelets count had gone up. I got therefore the full package of chemo (Camptosar, Erbitux and start of Xeloda pills) on Tuesday as planned. However, there is something "unplanned" going on now.

I haven't felt very good for more than a week. I got nauseous, dizzy and tired even though I had not gotten chemo. After the IV on Tuesday I had a couple of rough days when I stayed in bed continuously. My urine also started getting unusually dark at which point Marjo forced me to contact the hospital. Well, she had asked me for a couple of days already when I called up the nurse on Thursday afternoon. I was first advised to drink a lot and monitor the situation. On Friday morning the nurse called me from the hospital and asked me to go in for another blood test right away. A couple of hours later the doctor called me and said my liver values (alat, afos and bilirubin) were higher than normal. She told me to quit Xeloda pills right away and next week's chemo is cancelled. I also have to go in for another blood test tomorrow (Monday) morning. I have a CT scheduled for Thursday and they have moved the doctor's appointment forward from Wednesday the 28th and set it up on Friday 23rd. I assume they'd have the CT analysis ready by then as well.

The weekend went pretty well still greatly helped by in-laws who stepped in to help with the kids. I managed to go for a couple of walks and even watch the Manchester City vs. Manchester United game on Saturday. Great result! However, I guess I can't help being a little worried about the medical situation at the moment but try not to speculate. It can be so many tings, e.g. liver is tired of chemo but can also be something non-cancer related.

No comments: