Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Room 12 - day 3

Another lovely and sunny day in Tampere and another day in room 12. I've got a new roommate today so already third since I arrived on Monday.

The infection level (CRP) had gone up since yesterday and was this morning 92,5. CRP should normally be between 0 and 10 so I'm now clearly out of range. Yesteday the doctor decided to change to better antibiotics and I've been given that three times a day as IV. I didn't ask what "better" in this context means. Is it stronger or better suited for my type of infection or what? I was a little surprised to see the CRP further up but the doctor didn't seem worried. She said it could take two days before the drugs kick in. I expect to see some good results tomorrow then.

The liver markers had improved further which were good news:
* ALAT 80 (10-70 is the normal range)
* AFOS 225 (35-105 is the normal range)
The doctor said it could take a couple of weeks for the liver to recover so these markers may come down slowly.

Alright, this all means I'm not checking out of room 12 today and most likely not tomorrow either. Marjo and the kids will visit this afternoon. I have prepared a little party and bought some fresh buns and juice from the hospital cafeteria.

5 comments:

One of many friends said...

If you're feeling bad about being inside and looking at the beautiful day from there - don't feel bad. It looks great, but it's FREEZING out there!

Jan Arne said...

I didn't check the temperature so that actually feels good to know :)

Unknown said...

Jan Arne, hope that you get to go home soon! We cross our fingers on your behalf. Say hello to Marjo and the kids from us here in Stavanger. Here it has been pouring down more or less all day, by the way.

AnJou said...

Better might mean more "wide spectrum" antibiotics. Usually they start with something quite low on the potency scale of antibiotics (I think that having it via IV makes the effect stronger in any case), but if infection doesnt show signs of going away, even with IV antibio, then they move onto other stuff. For example, I got regular G-pen in my pneumonia last summer, and then they quickly moved to other stuff, name of which escapes me, and ending with Avelox (oral antibiotic) when I was de-hospitalized :)

mestad said...

God bedring! I hope you get better soon, and that you got a good nights sleep last night.

Aase