Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hmm

I had a long day at the hospital yesterday. I usually have a blood sample taken the day before chemo, but due to the Easter holidays I had to take it yesterday morning. The same applied to all the other patients that were in for chemo so it took me one hour just to get the blood sample done. Then I spent another hour waiting for the lab to deliver the results. The platelets count was surprisingly 75 and since the lowest limit is 100 for giving chemo the nurse had to consult the doctor. That took another hour as the doctor had to consult yet another doctor which I assume was the senior doctor. Finally at noon I was told they'd only give me Erbitux and that I'd have to wait one week with the other drugs (Camptosar and Xeloda). Only after this decision the nurse could order the drug and the delivery takes some time as well.

The platelets have stayed good-enough-for-chemo for a long time so I got a little worried because this is what happened last spring when the first chemo combination ran out of juice. The platelets count then stayed low for several weeks in a row and the doctors concluded in the end the cancer prevented it from raising. This together with the slight rise in the cancer marker (CEA) in February I can't help but wonder if the cancer is progressing again. I will find out only after next CT scan which is scheduled for 22.4 (April 22).

When I checked out of from the hospital I had spent a nice 6 hours there.

No comments: