Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sunshine in between

The days since the hospital exit about two weeks ago have been pretty challenging. In general I can't remember I've been this sick since I got the diagnosis in 2008. Though I've had some good times in between, most of the time I've felt crap (nausea, bad appetite, insomnia, itching skin, tiredness). The 10 days long antibiotics treatment (pills) after the hospital was pretty hard and I think that caused some of this but possibly the condition of the liver also plays a role. The liver values in blood samples have been going up and down and we’re not sure if the tube and drain solution they put in works as it should. I'm scheduled for further investigations (ultra sound) on Monday morning, which also happens to be Norway's Independence Day. Maybe I should bring a Norwegian flag with me to the hospital? The doctors won't put me back on chemo either until the liver works properly again.

The CRP (infection level) has come down to almost normal level so some progress in that area at least. The pain from the surgery is also on retreat.

I've felt pretty well after ending the antibiotics, in other words the last two days. After giving a blood sample at the hospital this morning I went downtown for an errand and stopped by in a cafĂ© for a cup of cappuccino. I haven’t felt like drinking coffee for weeks, but today it tasted really good. Maybe the ice-hockey world championships have also had a positive impact on my recent well-being. Denmark and Norway have had some surprise wins and finally tonight Finland got their play together and beat USA. Tonight's match was a thriller to watch though.

We had otherwise a fantastic warm and sunny day today. The temperature hit 20 degrees (Celsius) and all of a sudden nature has come to live. Maybe an exceptionally long and cold winter will turn into an equally long and warm summer? In the afternoon father-in-law, the kids and I went downtown to buy ice cream at the harbor market place. Marjo is on a business trip all week and in-laws stay at our place to help out.

2 comments:

Strawbale Builders said...

Oops! Sorry for the multiple deleted posts.. I had trouble pasting in a link and then had to remove the posting twice.

Anyways, here's what I was trying to post:

Hi Jan,

Hope you're feeling a lot better and able to enjoy the summer weather.

I came across this reference to a treatment that sounds very promising. Not sure if it's offered in Finland. Thought I'd pass on the info in case its of use.. type REOLYSIN in google news (http://news.google.com).

Hi To Marjo and the kids!

Take care,
Peter, Hanna & Benjamin

Jan Arne said...

Howdy and thanks for tip! Interesting indeed! I understand it so that this drug is in trials and then it's not possible to get "off the shelf". There is a private hospital in Finland that do research on and offer oncolytic virus therapies. I'm not sure if they are involved with Reolysin as well.