Monday, July 14, 2008

House of Mr. Clutterbuck

Last week has passed along pretty fast. I've felt surprisingly good and even slept well. I suspect our two kids have contributed greatly to that as there isn't a silent moment really until they are finally in bed at around half past eight in the evening. We've had a good time and done a lot of stuff together. Our oldest kid is very fond of cycling and we're almost daily around in the woods where we live. Sometimes we take a playground tour and visit one playground after another. At other times we cycle down to the beach which is only a kilometre away and go swimming.

Among the usual places to visit in Tampere, like the amusement park, we've also been to see some places in the district I didn't even know about. We visited my wife's cousin close to Vammala and continued from there to down town Vammala to visit a children's play house called ”Herra Hakkaraisen Talo". I looked up on the Internet and found the English translation to be House of Mr. Clutterbuck. The creator of Mr. Clutterbuck (Herra Hakkarainen) is Mauri Kunnas who is considered the most successful author of children's books in Finland ever. I learnt he was born in Vammala and that's why they've put up this play house there. It was pretty impressive and had rooms with themes from some of his books. Both kids loved it. By the way, some of his books have even been translated into Norwegian.

We also visited the Vehoniemi car museum in Kangasala. The size is suitable for families with children, and there's a café and a tower with a pretty nice view. As many other cafés in town also this café had their own home-made Finnish-style donuts. These were supposed to be made according to a very old recipe. I have to admit that the donuts at the Pyynikki tower are still my favourites.

Tomorrow morning I will have my first appointment with the oncologist at the hospital. Thumbs up!

No comments: