Monday, July 21, 2008

First encounter with side effects

The drugs I am on currently are Eloxatin and Xeloda. The first one is infusion done at hospital every three weeks. The latter one is pills I have to eat morning and evening for two weeks, then a week off, then back on for another two weeks and so on.

We got home on Friday alright. During the afternoon I started feeling a slight nausea, which grew in strength during the weekend. It started to get difficult to eat and I really had to concentrate hard on getting anything down. I started taking some medicine called Primperan to try and cope with the nausea. It helps but I need to experiment a little more before I know how much I should take and at what time of the day.

Yesterday, Sunday, was my worst day. I had slept badly during the night, and I also noticed I had lost some weight since the first time I saw the oncologist. My wife started to get worried as the doctors told us keeping the weight is very important to have energy for the treatment, and also the drug dosage is calculated based on height and weight. I took some more Primperan and today has been a pretty good day all in all.

For the first time in my life my target is now to eat as much as possible and although food should be healthy it should also contain a lot of energy. I walked to the local store and bought some high-energy drinks, nut bars and other goodies I wouldn't normally buy. One of our neighbours invited me over for coffee and buns. I managed to eat one and felt happy about that. My wife brought me a strawberry milkshake from MacDonald's, but after emptying that I had to lie down on the couch.

Tonight one of my sisters and her husband will arrive for a visit from Norway.

No comments: