Monday, January 26, 2009

The dog

I had an incident with the car. Some friends of ours from Norway visited us a this weekend. On Friday afternoon I picked them up from the hotel they stayed in and headed back to our place. We drove through a residential area where speed limit was 50 km/h. It was dark and the roads were icy. Out from nowhere came a small dog and ran straight into the road in front of us. We heard a bang as if we had driven into a large chunk of ice. It happened so fast I didn't even manage to hit the break before the impact.

I parked on a side street and ran back to find a woman, the dog owner apparently, lying on the road and crying. She was holding tightly onto the dog. The dog was surprisingly alive but didn't move and was bleeding from one eye and looked at me with the other. I felt horrible and didn't really know what to say.

There were some people around desperately trying to find a phone number to an animal clinic. They asked me and I replied I had no clue if even such exists in town. I said I was sorry for what happened but that there was nothing I could have done. There was a man there who seemed to be part of the family. After a short while he had found the address to the clinic and went to get his car. I got his phone number and they drove off.

Later on in the evening I contacted him. He said the dog was still alive and that the doctor had fixed him up. I didn't quite get all what they had had to do, but some bones were broken and the dog had taken a hit to the head. If it gets away with it it is a very lucky dog all in all. He asked if the car was damaged but I said that didn't matter. I will probably contact him again later this week to see how the dog is doing. My wife suggested we'd buy the dog owners something. I suggested a dog chain. That was a (bad) joke naturally.

No comments: