Tuesday, September 9, 2008

At in-laws

On the way to Kankaanpää, between the towns of Hämeenkyrö and Ikaalinen there's a house situated on top of a hill with a beautiful lake below it. The only thing is that the house is surrounded by thick forest so you can't really see the lake from the house. It always reminds of one of the small differences between Norwegians and Finns. For Norwegians, a good view is looking far away at sea and mountains. For Finns, a good view is looking into the forest. I would have cut down those trees.

I borrowed a bike from my in-laws and set out to explore the town of Kankaanpää. There isn't a lot to explore really. Once you've visited the Reima factory outlet (Finnish manufacturer of quality outdoor wear) and the town church you're done. I cycled past a sign “kids' own flea market” while heading out of the town. There's a lake nearby and I tried to find a way around it. I ended up in someone's garden and decided to cycle through a suburban area instead. The weather was great and I thought this would be a good time to think about greater things in life. However, I couldn't get that flea market thing out of my head. I don't quite get it but Finns are really passionate about flea markets. You find them all over with different themes. Close to where we live there's a flea market where you don't even do your own selling. You leave your stuff in a booth and come back a week later to collect the money. That is, if there's any money left after you've paid the rent of the booth.

Today I had another CT scan of the stomach. I will probably get to hear the result in next week's doctors appointment on Thursday.

No comments: