Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The funeral

Thank you everyone who participated in the O'Connels "Irish wake" on the 8th, the funeral in the church on the 14th, and the memorial service afterwards. I am sorry I could not invite everyone to the memorial service, and I am sorry that some of you I invited didn't understand you had been invited. I guess something was bound to go a bit wrong as there was so many things to arrange, so many decisions to make, and so many people to be in touch with. I also want to apologise to all those who have contacted me if I haven't been in touch with you, there's just been so many things to do and it's been a bit difficult to concentrate. So, sorry, nothing personal.

Music often plays a big role in grieving and it was also important to me in the funeral. I wanted the music not only be beautiful but to have some meaning. I ended up selecting music from Norway, Finland, and Sweden. The Grieg song was suggested to me by the singer who sung in the funeral, and it was very fitting as the lyrics tell about how a spring seems to someone who realises the spring may be the last one they see.

I wanted to share the music from the funeral here in the blog, of course a bit different versions and a different singer, just what I managed to find from Youtube, but I hope you enjoy them.

Oskar Lindberg: Gammal fäbodpsalm från Dalarna (Old Pastoral Hymn from Dalarna)



Grieg: Våren (Spring)



Armas Järnefelt: Berceuse (Lullaby)



Here is the song where the memorial verses were from in the death announcements in newspapers in Norway (first verse) and Finland (last verse).

No comments: