Friday, April 22, 2011

He is in peace now

Jan Arne died last night on the 22nd of April right after midnight. In the afternoon I had gone home from the hospital to get the kids to see him at around six and they said their goodbyes. By the time I got back to the hospital Jan Arne was already more or less unconscious and breathing heavily. He was in some pain but the nurses gave him pain killers and he calmed down. After midnight his breathing got slower and slower and he slipped away peacefully. My parents also got to say good bye to him. Later in the evening I had a dear friend, who had also been Jan Arne's doctor in the palliative ward, with me in the hospital as a very valuable support.

I want to thank you all for all the amazing support Jan Arne and his family have received during these tough three years which despite everything are also mostly full of happy memories. Other than that, I am just speechless about the injustice and cruelty of this all. Hugs to all of you all over the world.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if there will be any words that I could say to comfort you right now. I wish I could be here to give you a hug. I hope you know ... that I love him too ...

Unknown said...

My condolences. This is so sad.

Strawbale Builders said...

So sad to hear of Jan's passing. I know that you and the kids will miss him greatly. Our deepest condolences. Peter, Hanna, Benjamin & Olivia

Silje Maria said...

We send our deep condolences to Jan Arnes Family: Marjo,Espen and Thomas. We all will really miss this brave, young man Jan Arne - struggling against the cancer. We are still praying and you are in our thoughts both day and night.
Aunt Gerd Marit/ uncle Tor Sigurd and their family.

johman said...

Our heartfelt condolance to you and the boys Marjo and to Jan Arnes family in Norway. Jan Arne my very good old friend you are now at peace and surely watching over your loved ones. All our love to you!

Big hug
Johan & family

Strawbale Builders said...

Marjo, I'd like to pass these words of comfort to you. A decade ago (a few months before Jan acted as my best man) I lost my beloved Grandmother. At that time I found the following Native American Prayer of great comfort:

I give you this one thought to keep -
I am with you still - I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not think of me as gone -
I am with you still - in each new dawn.

Miia said...

I am so, so sorry to hear this, lost with words actually. My condolences.
- Miia

Almudena said...

I can't find the words to express what I feel and to confort you, Marjo. We will pray for him and for you and the kids.

Unknown said...

Marjo,I know that there is no word that can help you and the kids now. Jan Arne is in peace, without pain and I´m sure that he is helping God to take care of you, the kids and his family. We are still praying for Jan and you all at this moment.
Daniela Pomilio and family.

Eeva said...

So terribly sorry for your loss. Sending my warmest thoughts to Jan-Arne and the whole family. You are in my thoughts.
Eeva

mestad said...

We are so sorry for your loss. We will miss Jan Arne deeply. Aase and Steinar