Sunday, December 12, 2010

Saturday

I wish I could say it is going better, and it is, but I wish it was going... better-er. Today Jan Arne was up most of the day, watching sports on TV (how else) but did not go out because a) lack of energy b) it's pretty cold outside. So the day was a bit better, no fever and chills either, but he still has not appetite, and in the evening he started feeling quite sick again.

I went downtown with the kids today as the younger one had a Christmas party for his music playschool. On the way there he was quite adamant he was NOT going to wear the nice shirt and he was NOT going to go on stage, but when we got there he actually did and didn't even pick his nose too much while singing Xmas songs in front of some 200 people. After the show we went for hamburgers and fries (something we don't eat too often) and stopped by in a pharmacy to get some energy & protein drinks for Jan Arne. They had some that was even described as being meant for cancer patients. Nothing with hamburger and fries flavour though.

I am so worried Jan Arne is not getting enough of energy and proteins. He has not been eating much for the past couple of weeks so of course he is feeling quite weak because of that as well. Good luck the back pain has not been too bad the last couple of days. He said he did have an ok appetite the night before the virus treatment when he was staying over night at a friend's place, hey Juha can you tell me what you cooked for him? :)

On Monday he has to leave the house to get a blood test and to maybe try to discuss with a doctor at the hospital about palliative care and what to do with the metastasis in the hip bone.

Again, hoping for a better (and even better-er) tomorrow...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Would any of the Thai food work? I can cook it, freeze it, and send it to you. I did that once for my friend in Michigan. :) seems to work out fine. Well, although Finland is not Michigan, but if I were to add the 'dry ice' to the package and with the cold winter that we have, that might work :)

I know that you guys are very busy, but I really want to send the real card with my hand writing, not the e-card with Times New Roman or Verdana for this Christmas, may I have you mailing address pleeeeeeease? :) whenever you have time.

I definitely pray for better days ahead for you guys :)

AnJou said...

I've been giving daugther these Nutrinikids drinks (every now and then) and I believe that is the product family you were talking about? They must have a drink also for cancer patients. Another thing that might be good (in terms of nutrients, protein and even taste) is Nutrilett bar (I think it's toffee). They're really really good, and one bar has 200 kcal. Maybe those would help, as a meal substitute if unable to eat proper food in large enough amounts.

Riitta said...

A long time ago I had a terrible flu which lasted weeks. My doctor said to me that go to the pharmasy and buy a bottle of Malvitona. It really gave me my appetit back (it was the time when I weighed only 50 kilos anyway, so getting any slimmer was a bad thing). It has a very small potion of alcohol, but it really helped. I know of course that even a very bad flu in nothing compared to Jan Arve's situation, but if it helps a little...?

Wifey said...

Thanks for all comments again! Anne, one of the drinks I found is Forticare: http://nutriciafi.nutricia.fi/forticare/ .
Riitta, Malvitol, I'll ask Jan Arne if he wants to try that.
Jack, please fly over and cook for us, at least I am hungry if Jan Arne isn't :D

Floridanmummu said...

We wish and pray for better-er days for you! You are in our thoughts, we have our thumbs high up and we pray for you. You sweethearts you.