Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Another day at cancer ward

We had another doctor's appointment today. We discussed a few well-being issues, like nail-bed infections. That has been a continuous problem since summer. The infections don't heal very easily and I've been on two antibiotics treatments this autumn for it. The doctor was not in favor of putting me on a third round so we'll try some other tricks first. For example, every day I've got to stick my toes and fingers in a blue disinfectant liquid, which makes them brown. Our oldest kid thought my brown nails looked cool and wanted the same.

The blood values are more or less fine. The platelets count has been consistently on or slightly above the magic value of 100. Well, three weeks ago it was 99 but they still decided to give me chemo. The CEA had gone slightly up to 33,6 (all time low is 29,8 measured on 3.11.2009). The doctor didn't consider it alarming. There was a note from the lab that the measurement technique had changed. CEA can also be influenced by other factors. The next CT is now scheduled for Friday 11.12.

I have a confession to make. Every Wednesday YLE, the Finnish TV broadcasting company, sends Niklas Mat just when I'm in bed at hospital and hooked up to the IV. The shows are last years re-runs from Swedish TV. It's actually a really good cooking show and much of the stuff is so simple that even I can get going. And video learning works! Tonight I made an American apple-pecan pie with the youngest kid. He loved the cake dough. The cake eating we'll do tomorrow with in-laws.

2 comments:

kandlrose said...

have the apple pie with vanila ice cream for my favourite desert -- apple pie a la mode

Jan Arne said...

Great idea, I'll try that one next :)