Saturday, November 1, 2008

Home renovations

Lately I've spent some time at home doing renovations that we have kept on postponing for years. We'd like to have the walls of the entrance and hall areas painted. I spent quite some time ripping off the old wallpapers. Then we discovered some damp or possible water damage in a concrete wall. We had to call in some professionals to have it checked. The professional did some measurements and concluded the wall is fine and that the damp must come from the floor. More investigations and measurements are needed so the painting project is on hold.

We started a toilet renovation project instead. I took out the old furniture from one of our two toilets and installed new furniture. I needed to drill quite a few holes in a tough concrete wall so I borrowed a really good drill from a neighbour. The drilling went smooth. Maybe too smooth as my wife discovered the following day I had drilled straight through the wall and decorated the wall in the opposite room with huge holes. Great, now I need to rip off the wallpaper on that wall, fill the holes and put wallpaper back on.

We also want to change some old closets in the apartment. Finding the right balance between solution and price is pretty time consuming. At least for us. Then the challenge of finding time to visit stores with two kids in the family.

We're thinking of outsourcing the hall painting project to ensure that at least something gets done before Christmas.

No comments: