Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Norwegian professor

Back in September there was a Nordic event in Tampere about surgery of my type of cancer. The exact name of the event was “Nordic post graduate course in colorectal surgery”. My wife found the agenda and participants list on the internet. Looking through the list, she found a couple of interesting names. One of the doctors I've met at the Tampere University Hospital was to attend to talk about use of chemotherapy as additional treatment for patients with cancers that are thought to have spread outside their original sites. She also noticed a Norwegian professor on the participants list. He works at the university that I studied at in Norway (NTNU) and is at the same time a surgeon at the university hospital in Trondheim.

I sent him an email asking if he would have some spare time while being in town to discuss my treatment plan and if there were differences in treatment practises between Finland and Norway with my type of cancer. He actually replied but after the event was over. He had been too busy to read all his emails before the trip to Finland. He explained that guidelines in Norway and Finland are the same and that I would have got the same treatment plan in Norway. He also said I'm in very good hands at the Tampere University Hospital and that he personally knew the very competent head of the department for colorectal surgery there.

No comments: